Improvement request: Implement bulkping function in wmix

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Hi Kirk,

these days I had the chance to use the wmix module in a Windows XP environment with powershell 2.0 for a wmi query. I received a pc list and I had to report a value. For our example lets say the serialnumber via Get-Bios.

I thought it would be a good idea to work with the parameter job.

But before I wanted to check wich computer are available/online. After some searching I used the background ping function for this reason.

http://poshtips.com/2011/03/28/bgping-a-high-performance-bulk-ping-utility/

$result = .\bgping.ps1 -HostFile d:\computerlist.txt -batchsize 100 -Show success –OutObject

I wanted to work with the result as an input for the Get-bios function

$mypclist = $result | select-object Address $Mypclist | export-csv -NoTypeInformation mypclist.csv

# Skip the first line before reading the file

$file = ".\mypclist.csv" (Get-Content $file | Select-Object -Skip 1) | Set-Content $file

get-content "mypclist.csv" | foreach { get-bios -computername $_ | select-object __Server, serialnumber} | export-csv -NoTypeInformation list.csv

or as job

get-content "mypclist.csv" | foreach { get-bios –computername $_ -Asjob | select-object __Server, serialnumber}

Is it possible to implement the bgping function in wmix?

Is it possible to implement a function similar to the parallel handling used in the bgping function for the wmix functions?

I can imagine that other wmix user could have the same request.

regards

Andreas